The Village Streetscaping Project Update January 6, 2017
Project Scope and Design Information
Link to Project Multi-year Phasing Plan
Link to The Parks Design 2017
Link to Phase 3 Project Design Update - Community Affairs Presentation
Current Status -
Updates on Phases 1 and 2, Phase 3 is out for bids
The contractors will be wrapping up Phase 1 and preparing for road surface work in the Phase 2 area while Phase 3 of the Village Redevelopment is currently out for bid. As seen on the phasing map this scope involves Wauwatosa Ave from Harmonee to State Street, Root Common and Pocket Park redesign, Harwood from Wauwatosa Ave to Mower Court and Underwood from Harmonee to Milwaukee. See below for the Project Overview for more details.
PHASE 3 SCHEDULE
• Bids due Tuesday April 4th. Staff and consultants will review the bids, submit for approvals and execute contracts during the month of April.
• Utility work should start in April, gas was first to start on March 27 on Underwood between Milwaukee and Harmonee.
• The goal for Phase 3 project work is the contractors will start May 1st. The sequencing of the various components of the project will be determined once contractor is selected.
• Wauwatosa Ave to be closed from Blanchard to Harmonee Avenue from July 5th to Labor Day so that work can proceed unimpeded. Detour routes will be posted but access will be maintained to the Village Fair and Harwood as is until the new Harwood connection is opened.
• Substantial completion October 15, 2017. Final completion (landscaping) June 15, 2018
PHASE 2 UPDATE
• Starting the week of April 3 MJ Construction will be working at the intersection of Wauwatosa and State St. There will be barricades on State St for the trenching operation to install the manhole and connect the storm sewer to the new pipe just installed under the railroad tracks. This work is expected to last one week.
• As the underground utilities wrap up over the next few weeks the next step will be the new lighting and road reconstruction which is expected to start in April.
• For more Phase 2 information click on link to webpage.
PHASE 1 UPDATE
• The contractor continues to work on the water feature under the large tent in the plaza area. This will be a signature design element for The Village with water flowing down a trough and splashing onto a millstone. It will contain benches, edge lighting and plantings. Click on link to rendering.
• With the warmer weather the contractors will be finishing the landscaping, repairing some damaged items and other punch-list related work. There will period some lane closures in State Street for the contractors to complete this work.
• We are proposing a formal ribbon cutting on Saturday May 27th. Details will be announced by the Village BID as we get closer to the date.
Want to be up to date on What's Happening:
Please utilize the “Notify Me” alert system available through the City’s website to receive email or text notifications of construction activities and project updates.
Use the attached link to sign up for the Village/State Street Streetscaping Project at "Notify Me":http://www.wauwatosa.net/list.aspx
As part of the planned State Street reconstruction project the City has taken a comprehensive approach to evaluating design options for the entire Village area. Since February of 2015 there have been 35 public meetings on this project seeking community input about goals and objectives for the Village, as well as, feedback on design concepts from the general public, surrounding neighborhood associations, The Village Business Improvement District and City engineers and planners.
The project began with the need to replace old infrastructure and road surface along State Street from 68th Street to Church Street. It was determined that the project scope should expand to serve the entire Village and include streetscaping and wayfinding. A key objective of this project is to develop a streetscape solution for The Village that allows for the continued movement of automobile traffic while creating a safe pedestrian-oriented retail and dining destination. The design decisions were made as part of the larger context including other intersections in the Village and the future use of Root Common and Pocket Parks.
(Intersections included are Harmonee/Harwood; State/Wauwatosa; Harwood/Wauwatosa; State/Harwood; Underwood/State; Wauwatosa/Harwood). The project schedule has needed to be responsive to other developments in the Village and on neighboring streets so the phasing has been modified.
• The project scope for the Phase 1 2016 construction was: State Street/Menomonee River Parkway between Wauwatosa Avenue and Church Street; Harwood between State Street and Root Common; and Underwood between State Street and Harmonee Avenue. This phase was substantially completed November of 2016 although the landscaping and punch-list items are scheduled to be finished by June 2017.
• There has been some modifications to the phasing of work given the necessary coordination with the railroads for the State Street design.
• Phase 2 (winter 2016/spring 2017) and will involve infrastructure and utility upgrades to area surrounding the new State Street Station project. This includes Wauwatosa Ave, State Street, 74th St as well as Blanchard and St James. The utility work will be completed by April 2017 with the paving, lighting and restoration to start in April 2017 through summer.
• Phase 3 (2017 / spring 2018) will complete Wauwatosa Ave from Blanchard to Harmonee, including Pocket Park and Root Common. Harwood from Wauwatosa to Mower Ct and Underwood from Harmonee to Milwaukee Ave will also receiving upgrades and streetscaping treatment. Final landscaping will be completed in the spring of 2018.
• Phase 4 (2018) involves the work on State Street from 68th Street to Wauwatosa and will add a new walkway and fence along the railroad tracks on the south side of State St. with a pedestrian crossing of the tracks at 74th Street.
Phase 3 is out to bid and is expected to start construction in May.
The design team is currently working on Phase 4 which includes State Street from 68th to 74th Street will is scheduled for construction in 2018.
Additional presentation information from past meetings:
2015_11_10 Transportation Committee Presentation
2015_10_28 Detailed review of project components
2015_10_22 Minutes – SSC Meeting 6
2015_08_04 Master Plan Presentation to the Transportation Committee
2015_07_16 Minutes - SSC Meeting 5
2015_07_09 Agenda – SSC Meeting 4
2015_06_18 Minutes - SSC Meeting 3
2015_06_11 Minutes REV - SSC Meeting 2
2015_05_28 Village Design Approach and Mission
2015_05_28 Design Goals Summary
2015_05_19 Public Post It Note comments
2015_05_19 Public Input Meeting 1
2015_02_25 SSC Meeting
2015_02_19 SSC Meeting
Resolution forming Streetscaping Steering Committee (SSC)