The Village Streetscaping Project Update January 6, 2017
Project Scope and Design Information
Link to Project 3-year Phasing Plan
Link to Phase 1 Design
Link to Project Rendering
Current Status -
First segment of State St decorative string lighting turned on Thursday 1/26/2017
The contractors have been installing the remaining site fixtures; benches, trash containers and bike racks over the past week. The first segment of decorative string lights or festoon lights were turned on for the Tour de Tosa dining event held Thursday night.
There will be continuing utility work at the intersection of State Street and Wauwatosa Ave as part of The Village Redevelopment - Phase 2, which has its own webpage.
• During the week of January 30th contractors will be working restoring the trenches in the pavement on Wauwatosa and State Street. Flaggers will be present and through traffic will be maintained.
• The large tent in the plaza area provides a protected work area for the construction of the water feature which will continue over the next month.
• The first half of the decorative festoon string lighting was completed this week. Next week they will complete installation of the remainder of lights on the west half of the plaza area, weather permitting.
• The bollards (posts alongside the road and parking lanes) have been installed to define the street edge. The bollards at the crosswalks are illuminated at night for pedestrian safety
• The work activity projections are weather dependent and may require adjustments.
Decorative overhead string lighting looking east on State Street.
Want to be up to date on What's Happening:
Contact for Project Information:
Construction Communication Liaison
City of Wauwatosa
Please utilize the “Notify Me” alert system available through the City’s website to receive email or text notifications of construction activities and project updates.
Use the attached link to sign up for the Village/State Street Streetscaping Project at "Notify Me":http://www.wauwatosa.net/list.aspx
As part of the planned State Street reconstruction project the City has taken a comprehensive approach to evaluating design
options for the entire Village area. Since February of 2015 there have been 35 public meetings on this project seeking community input about goals and objectives for the Village, as well as, feedback on design concepts from the general public, surrounding neighborhood associations, The Village Business Improvement District and City engineers and planners.
The project started with the need to replace old infrastructure and road surface along State Street from 68th Street to Church Street. It was determined that the project scope would expand to the entire Village and include streetscaping and wayfinding signage plans. A key objective of this project is to develop a streetscape solution for The Village and State Street that allows for the continued movement of automobile traffic while creating a safe pedestrian-oriented retail and dining destination. The design decisions were made as part of the larger context including other intersections in the Village and the future use of Root Common and Pocket Parks.
(Intersections included are Harmonee/Harwood; State/Wauwatosa; Harwood/Wauwatosa; State/Harwood; Underwood/State; Wauwatosa/Harwood). Those presentations are linked below.
• The project scope for the Phase 1 area scheduled for 2016 construction is: State Street/Menomonee River Parkway between Wauwatosa Avenue and Church Street; Harwood between State Street and Root Common; and Underwood between State Street and Harmonee Avenue. The project went out for bids February 2016 with construction starting in April and lasting until November of 2016.
• There has been some re-naming of the phases given the timing of the construction work and coordination with the railroads for the State Street design.
• Phase 2 is scheduled for winter 2016/spring 2017 and will involve infrastructure and utility upgrades to area surrounding the new State Street Station project. It includes Wauwatosa Ave, State Street, 74th St as well as Blanchard and St James.
• Phase 3 (still in 2017) involves the work on State Street from 68th Street to Wauwatosa and Harmonee intersection and Harwood Ave from Yo Mama’s to Mower Court. This phase will also include renovation of Root Common and Pocket Park.
• Phase 4 will address Harwood west of the Menomonee River to Glenview and Underwood from Harmonee north to Milwaukee Avenue.
The design team is currently working on Phase 3 which includes State Street from 68th to Pocket Park and Root Common and Harwood. The project will include the ongoing discussion for the Railroad Crossing at 74th Street. The majority of this work is anticipated for 2017.
Additional presentation information from past meetings:
2015_11_10 Transportation Committee Presentation
2015_10_28 Detailed review of project components
2015_10_22 Minutes – SSC Meeting 6
2015_08_04 Master Plan Presentation to the Transportation Committee
2015_07_16 Minutes - SSC Meeting 5
2015_07_09 Agenda – SSC Meeting 4
2015_06_18 Minutes - SSC Meeting 3
2015_06_11 Minutes REV - SSC Meeting 2
2015_05_28 Village Design Approach and Mission
2015_05_28 Design Goals Summary
2015_05_19 Public Post It Note comments
2015_05_19 Public Input Meeting 1
2015_02_25 SSC Meeting
2015_02_19 SSC Meeting
Resolution forming Streetscaping Steering Committee (SSC)