Licensing of Food Establishments
Obtaining a Food or Restaurant License
Refer to A Guide to Selling Food in the City of Wauwatosa
for information regarding City of Wauwatosa approvals required for opening a food or restaurant business.
Health Department Requirements
Applicants for food or restaurant licenses should follow the following procedure to meet Health Department requirements:
- Obtain the license application form for restaurant, temporary restaurant, or food establishment from the Wauwatosa Health Department or access the electronic forms below.
- Complete the form and return it with the appropriate fee to the Health Department.
- Plans of the establishment may be submitted to the Health Department for review and conformance with current health codes if the plans are available.
- The Wauwatosa Health Department sanitarian contacts the applicant to establish an estimated opening date and to arrange for a pre-licensing on-site inspection. Contact the Public Health Nurse Information and Referral Line at (414) 479-8939 or via Email to be referred to the appropriate staff member.
- The sanitarian performs a pre-licensing inspection of the establishment. The initial pre-licensing inspection shall be made within 30 days after the license application is received.
- After the pre-licensing inspection, the applicant is advised in writing of deficiencies noted during the inspection. The sanitarian informs the applicant of the corrective actions needed and arranges a time for a follow-up inspection.
- When the establishment and applicant have complied with current health code requirements, the license is approved. Approval will be noted on the final pre-licensing inspection report form.
- The Health Department issues the license when all required approvals are received. Most licenses require approval by more than just the Health Department.
- The license year runs from July 1 through June 30; renewal applications are sent out to current license holders in April.