Radon is a cancer-causing, radioactive gas that you can’t see, smell, or taste, but it may be a problem in your home. Radon has been found in all Wauwatosa zip codes. It comes from the natural (radioactive) breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water and gets into the air you breathe. Radon is estimated to cause thousands of lung cancer deaths yearly. There are simple ways to fix a radon problem that are not too costly. Even very high levels can be reduced to acceptable levels.
Testing is the only way to know if there is a radon risk. Testing is inexpensive and easy. The Environmental Protection Agency and the Surgeon General recommended testing all homes for radon below the third floor.
The Wauwatosa Health Department has home radon test kits available to residents for $10.00 while supplies last.
- Available for pick up at the Wauwatosa Health Department: 7725 W. North Avenue (City Hall)
- During business hours: Monday-Friday; 8:00 am-4:30 pm
- Cash or check only (no credit cards)
- The test kit is for screening purposes of Wauwatosa homes. Lab testing is included in the cost of the kit, but residents will need to provide postage.
- For additional information, call the Information and Referral Nurse at 414-479-8939.
Also, home radon testing kits are available from hardware stores, as well as the Southeastern Radon Information Center (contact information listed below). When purchasing a kit, be sure to read the packaging to see if there are any additional lab fees associated with the test.
For more information, please contact the Public Health Information and Referral Nurse at (414) 479-8939. | Email