Property Tax Collection
Property tax statements are typically mailed by the second full week in December. The bills are mailed to the owner of record per the Milwaukee County Registrar of Deeds, unless an official mailing address change has been made at the City Assessor’s office prior to November 15. If you do not receive a tax bill by December 15, the tax bill can be obtained online.
Property Tax Web Portal
You can use the property tax portal to:
- access your tax bill or balance
- make a tax payment, includes user fees
- obtain and print your tax bill
- obtain and print your tax summary, which shows balance due and payments made
- see the receipt for your property tax payment
Preparing the Payment
- pay in full by January 31
- pay in three installments by January 31, March 31, and May 31. You do not need to sign up for the installment payment plan.
- include your tax bill or tax summary with your payment
- make checks payable to the City of Wauwatosa
- if you pay with an escrow check from your mortgage company, you need to endorse the check
How to Pay
Pay by Mail
- pay by mail using the return envelope that came in your tax bill
- pay by mail to our lockbox if you lost your return envelope to City of Wauwatosa, Bin 88360, Milwaukee, WI 53288-0360
The receipt date will be the date on the U.S. Postal Service postmark.
Pay at City Hall in Person
- pay with cash or check at the Treasurer's Office at 7725 W. North Avenue, Wauwatosa, WI 53213
- pay with cash or check 24 hours a day, 7 days a week using the 24 Hour Depository located on the southwest end of City Hall at the door marked employee entrance.
- pay online at the Property Tax Portal for an additional user fee
We only mail tax payment receipts if you owe a balance. You can get a receipt:
- online from the property tax portal
- contacting our office at 414-479-8960
- immediately if you pay in person
We are open Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. We are closed on city observed holidays and weekends. Some years, there are extended hours. Announcements of our hours can be found on our website, on our Facebook and Twitter pages, and in your tax bill mailing.
We Stop Collecting Property Taxes on July 31
We collect taxes from December to July 31. For example, for 2017 property taxes we collect taxes from December 1, 2017 to July 31, 2018. If your tax bill becomes delinquent prior to July 31, it is payable to us. If your tax bill becomes delinquent after July 31, the delinquent taxes are paid to Milwaukee County Treasurer at 901 N. 9th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53233. You can call them at 414-278-4033. Payments made to Milwaukee County will not show up on our property tax portal. Milwaukee County's property tax portal will have complete payment information (your payment to us and Milwaukee County).
Have More Questions About Property Taxes?
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions.