Cold Weather & Your Water Pipes
What should I do to avoid cold weather problems with my water pipes?
Post Date:01/28/2019 9:00 AM
Return to full list >>
With the cold temperatures and wind chill in the forecast, we want to share these tips on how to keep your water pipes safe:
- Turn off your outside hose bib from inside the property.
- Make sure the area around the water meter is heated to about the mid-50's to prevent freezing.
- Make sure the water shut off valves on both sides of the water meter work properly so you can turn off your water in case of an emergency.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to allow warmer air around the water pipes.
- Is your water meter line as it enters your home boxed in? Open ceiling tiles, cabinets to expose it to the heat in your home.
- You can use a hair dryer or small electric heater to attempt to thaw a frozen line, but be careful leaving space heaters unattended.
- You can leave a small stream of cold water flowing through a faucet. Put a bowl in your sink to catch the water and use it to water plants, fill humidifiers, and more.