Follow the Budget Discussions
See the meeting dates and access the videos and information related to the budget
We are in the process of developing the operating and capital budgets. Our operating budget represents day-to-day expenses, wages, utilities, and purchases of items intended to last less than a year. The capital budget includes infrastructure, city property, and long-term equipment purchases.
Wauwatosa, like most municipalities in Wisconsin, relies heavily on property tax (70% of revenues in 2018). This is due to multiple factors including declining shared revenues from the state and limited options for alternative taxes by state law. The State of Wisconsin also imposes a tax levy limit on municipalities which ties allowable increases in the property tax levy to net new construction within the city.
A topic to follow in this year's budget discussions are the efficiencies that staff members have implemented while continuing to provide the community with a high level of service.
Follow the discussions online in the Meeting Portal or in person:
- Tuesday, October 1 – Committee of the Whole, Budget overview
- Tuesday, October 8 – Financial Affairs, Operating budget review
- Tuesday, October 22 – Special Meeting of the Financial Affairs, to complete review of the 2020 budget, consider any proposed changes and vote on recommending the proposed budget to Council
- Thursday, October 24 – Special Meeting of the Financial Affairs, only as needed
- Tuesday, October 29 – Financial Affairs, Introduction and overview of Capital budget
- Tuesday, November 5 – Common Council, public hearing on the 2020 Operating and Capital budgets
- Tuesday, November 19 – Common Council, 2020 Operating and Capital Budget Adoption