Toilets: How to Test for a Leak
Check and fix water leaks before they become a major bill
Toilets are the biggest offenders of water leaks. A leaky toilet may substantially increase your water bill.
If you suspect a leak or hear your toilet running, there's a simple dye test to confirm if you have a leak:
- Put a few drops of food safe dye in the toilet tank.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes without flushing.
- If there is color in the toilet bowl, you may have a leak.
Other common leaks include in ground sprinklers, dripping faucets, and hose spigots. If you're not sure, ask a professional.
Pay your water bill
There are many ways to pay your water bill:
- Return enclosed envelope with a check
- Pay online through your bank
- Pay online through the Wauwatosa Water Utility portal. You will need your account number and house number.
- Over the phone: 1-844-804-5569
- At the Treasurer's Counter at City Hall (7725 W North Avenue) between 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday
- At the 24/7 dropbox at City Hall by the employee entrance