Approving Sidewalk Sales, Outdoor Seating and Other Creative Business Solutions
In the "Tosa Restarts" program, city staff review requests and provide appropriate approvals in 72 hours or less
COVID-19 has had an unprecedented impact on the Wauwatosa small business community. The Common Council approved the "Tosa Restarts" program as a way to expedite review and approval processes for a variety of activities. The goal is to generate vibrancy within Wauwatosa’s commercial districts, as well as eliminate or reduce fees where allowed.
Normally, these activities would require a board approval. Following the submission of an application, city staff will review and provide appropriate approvals within 72 hours or less.
Some of the activities could include:
- Outdoor seating on sidewalk, public property, or private property in a new or expanded way
- Sidewalk sales for retail shops
- Food trucks on public lands or areas not ordinarily used for parking a vehicle (note: food licensing and safety regulations continue to apply in full)
- Temporary signage
- Special events, parking lot uses, road closures, and block party fees waived, but charges for any extraordinary services
- Liquor licenses for curbside delivery areas, expanded sidewalk cafes, special events, and parking lot uses
A business owner can start a request by contacting our staff through this online form.
Small businesses can also apply for financial assistance through the city. To date, the Wauwatosa Revolving Loan Fund Corporation and the Community Development Authority have approved financial assistance for over 100 small businesses.