Milwaukee County and City of Wauwatosa Waive Interest and Penalty for Late Tax Payments
Taxpayers have until October 1 to avoid interest and penalties on 2019 property taxes
The Milwaukee County Board voted on the property tax interest and penalty waiver resolution. Earlier, the state passed Act 185 which had a provision to allow a waiver of interest and penalty for a late payment. Municipalities could not pass a resolution to do so, unless the county the municipality was located in also passed a resolution. Wauwatosa passed a resolution for the interest and penalty waiver contingent on county action. Milwaukee County passed their resolution Thursday, May 28. The Common Council will discuss the City of Wauwatosa's resolution on June 2. View the meeting portal to see the agenda, video, and minutes.
Does this waiver apply to me?
- This waiver is intended for financial hardship cases.
- This is a general waiver – no formal request by the taxpayer is needed.
- This is only effective for the May 31 due date. It does not apply to taxpayers who did not meet January 31 or March 31 due dates – this group is in delinquent status and therefore subject to the normal law regarding due dates, delinquency status and interest and penalty accrual.
- Taxes are still due – taxpayers must pay in full by October 1 to avoid delinquency and therefore interest and penalties.
- Taxpayers need to be aware that if they pay by July 31 it is to the City of Wauwatosa. After July 31, payments go through Milwaukee County.