The City of Wauwatosa is dedicated to creating a vibrant, safe, dynamic community with thriving businesses and neighborhoods. One of the ways we are working to further achieve this goal is by providing a visually-friendly environment reflective of our community through the use of public programming and public art.
Tosa Mural Program
The Tosa Mural Program is an initiative to bring color and creativity to the City of Wauwatosa. Artists are selected annually to design, install, and permanently display their works in our city. Residents of Wauwatosa are given the opportunity to interact with the artist, share their thoughts, and maybe even paint a little themselves. This program is more than a beautification effort - it is our way as a city to connect to one another, our culture, and our visitors.
The Hartwork Project
The Hartwork Project was an initiative held in 2019 where sculpture artists were selected to display their works in Hart Park from May – October. These works were on temporary display over the summer, where visitors and residents can enjoy the public works while going on a run, taking their children to the park, or seeing them during different events and festivities held in the park.
The public art projects are tourism initiatives funded through hotel/motel tax revenue, not property tax dollars.
Why Public Art?
- Establishes a sense of place and identity
- Beautifies areas of the city
- Prevents tagging
- Gives artists the ability to express themselves, and serve as civic leaders
- Engages social interaction between community members, artist, and the city
- Stimulates learning and understanding between people
- Increases cultural activity
- Encourages economic activity for both individuals and businesses
- Attracts visitors and increases tourism in Wauwatosa
Sign up for the Artist Directory
We encourage artists to sign up for our Artist Directory to receive information about commissioning opportunities and art festivals as they become available.