What We Do
When are absentee ballots available?
We receive absentee ballots about three weeks prior to an election.
Registered voters can:
- Make a request for an absentee ballot on the MyVote website.
- Provide a written request to the City Clerk's Office, 7725 W. North Ave., to have a ballot mailed to them.
- Come in person to the office, located at 7725 W. North Ave., beginning the third Monday before an election to complete an absentee ballot.
How do I get a library card?
Library cards are available to all eligible residents of Milwaukee County. Library cards are available in person at any MCFLS member library and are valid for 2 years. Adults, who are 16-years-of-age and older, can bring a valid Wisconsin ID or Driver’s License with current Milwaukee County address or must show two forms of ID.
To learn more about obtaining a library card, and for information about valid forms of ID, please reference the Wauwatosa Public Library.
How do I pay for water and sewer utilities?
The city issues water, sewer, and storm water bills quarterly in the mail around the first of the month. Bills are due on the 20th of each month. Bills are issued to the owner or resident. If you want, the bill can be mailed to an address other than the service address. You can pay your bill online, by mail, in person, by using the 24 hour deposit located at the south-west end of City Hall, through your private bank's online bill pay, or over the phone.
For more information on how billing works, please see our Billing & Rate Information page.
For general information about water utilities in Wauwatosa, please see our Water Utility page.
How do I register to vote?
In order to register to vote, there are a few steps residents must take:
- All persons registering to vote are required to provide proof of residence showing current name and current Wauwatosa address.
- Register online at the MyVote website, myvote.wi.gov
- Download the registration form (EL-131) from the Wisconsin Elections Commission website; mail it to the City Clerk's Office, 7725 W. North Avenue, Wauwatosa, WI 53213.
- Register at the City Clerk’s office Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm; the office is open until 5:00 pm the Friday before an election (there is no in-person registration at the Clerk's office the day before an election).
- Register at the polls on Election Day.
- Electors are not required to register prior to each election. You only need to register if you have moved since the last election and have not registered from your new address, or have changed your name since the last election.
For more information, please see our Elections and Voting page.
How does garbage and recycling work in Wauwatosa?
To find your garbage and recycling schedule, please see our Refuse and Recycling Map. You may click on the map to view an individual refuse and recycling schedule based on your address, and/or you may use the Search Tool to locate your property by address.
For more information about garbage and recycling, please see our Garbage Recycling and Yard Waste Carts page.