On December 18, 2018, the Common Council adopted the Wauwatosa Life Sciences District Master Plan.
About the Life Sciences District
This area has seen significant growth over the past 20 years. This growth mirrors many national trends:
- growth in academic medical centers (MRMC)
- creation of major retail nodes (Mayfair and Burleigh Triangle)
- demands for housing
- demands for recreation
- demands for access
The Life Sciences District is home to high-quality medical care, quality employment opportunities, desirable and diverse housing and a one-of-a-kind natural environment. The Life Sciences District Master Plan is a long term strategy for development of the above area over a 20 – 30 year period.
- Improve traffic and circulation
- Improve mutual trust and benefits
- Design integrated streets and buildings
- Provide housing and mixed-use development
- Protect & enhance existing green/environmental spaces and create shared public spaces
The Wauwatosa Life Sciences District Master Plan calls for the city to zone the "Sanctuary Woods" as Special Purpose District-Conservancy. In order for us to do this, we need a Certified Survey Map from Milwaukee County that meets the requirements of our code and parcels the land appropriately to enable us to complete this zoning change. The Mayor and City Administrator have sent letters to Milwaukee County to start this process.