The project began with the need to replace old infrastructure and road surface along State Street from 68th Street to Church Street. It was determined that the project scope should expand to serve the entire Village and include streetscaping and wayfinding. A key objective of this project is to develop a streetscape solution for the Village that allows for the continued movement of automobile traffic while creating a safe pedestrian-oriented retail and dining destination. The design decisions were made as part of the larger context including other intersections in the Village and Root Common and Pocket Parks.
Project Scope and Design Information
- Project Multi-Year Phasing Plan
- Design for Root Common and Pocket Park (Intersection of Wauwatosa and Harwood)
We estimate that work will be completed around these milestones. Please note that these dates are weather dependent.
- Road work on Harmonee and Underwood around the Harmonee Square development
- Road and sidewalk work around the State Street Station development
- Landscaping throughout the Village
- Two way traffic on State Street, with one lane in each direction, reopens while reconstruction on the north half of the road takes place.
- The alternative route will remain in place during this time.
- Reconstruction of State Street from 68th Street to 74th Street is complete.
- Work on Hart Park Lane and the Harwood Pedestrian Bridge is complete.
- A new walkway and fence along the railroad tracks on the south side of State Street and a new pedestrian crossing of the railroad tracks at 74th Street is complete.