Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Download a Tent Permit Application.

Does a tent require a permit?

Yes, any tent 400 square feet (20 x 20) or greater requires a permit.

Whose responsibility is it to obtain a permit?

It is always the installer’s responsibility to obtain the proper permits.

How do I apply for a permit?

A permit can be obtained by filling out an application and submitting it with the proper permits fees and a site plan to the Wauwatosa Community Risk Reduction Bureau. When applying for a permit, make sure to include the dates when the tent will be erected and taken down and the sizes of the tents. The Wauwatosa Community Risk Reduction Bureau must receive the permit application at least three business days prior to erecting the tent.

What requirements do I need to follow when the tent is up?

  1. The permit shall be on site and available for inspection.
  2. Automotive equipment that is used in connection with any tent may not be parked within 20 ft of the tent except by special permission. All other automotive equipment and internal combustion engines maybe parked or located within 50 ft except upon public streets.
  3. Flammable or combustible liquids may not be stored in a tent nor less than 50 ft from any tent used for public assembly.
  4. Hay, straw and other flammable material may not be less than 35 feet from any tent, except by special permission.
  5. Waste and refuse shall be stored in approved containers or removed from the premises.
  6. Smoking is prohibited in any tent. “NO SMOKING” signs must be conspicuously posted.
  7. All tent fabric shall be flame resistant. A certificate or report must be submitted to serve as evidence that the tent fabric materials have the required flame resistance.
  8. A minimum of a 10 lb ABC fire extinguisher is required.
  9. Exit signs shall be required when the tent has side enclosures.
  10. An electrical permit shall be obtained when required. Contact the City of Wauwatosa Building and Safety Division for additional information.
  11. Additional permits are required for LP tanks and Flammable or combustible liquids.
  12. All heating and cooking equipment shall require approval of the AHJ.

Will an inspection be required?


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer