What we do
- Investigate infectious and communicable diseases in our community
- Promote health by providing select immunizations
- Investigate and inspect for nuisances and human health hazards
- Prepare for public health emergencies
- Provide education on how to reduce or eliminate health risks
- Conduct lead poisoning and rabies exposure prevention programs
- Inspect all food establishments in Wauwatosa
- Assess and mitigate our community's health needs
- Conduct presentations about health topics
Although you may not have had direct contact with us, many of the improvements that prolong life and protect health and safety in Wauwatosa are directly related to public health.
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Public Health Scoop
How and where can I dispose of prescription drugs?
We encourage a safe disposal of drugs and offer many ways for Wauwatosa residents to participate:
1) A permanent drop box is available at the Wauwatosa Police Department for all expired and unused prescription and over the counter medications. No needles/sharps, household chemicals, hygiene items, biohazard material are accepted. You must be a Wauwatosa resident and valid identification is required.
- Monday - Friday: 7 am - 11 pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 3 pm - 11 pm
2) We host medication collection events at City Hall, typically in April and September. For details on any upcoming medication collection events, call (414) 479-8936, or check our events calendar.
When are the Wauwatosa Health Department immunization clinics?The Wauwatosa Health Department offers three immunization clinics per month.
The monthly clinic schedule is as follows:
- First Tuesdays: 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm by appointment only
- Second Tuesdays: 8:30 am - 10:00 am
- Fourth Thursdays: 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
What do I need to do to obtain a food or restaurant license?The Wauwatosa Health Department (WHD) licenses all food businesses in the city. The WHD also issues soda water licenses.
There are three different food licenses: restaurant, retail food, and city food. Any establishment that sells food, whether it is candy and soda or steak and lobster, the establishment needs a license.
View information on licensing food establishments.
For a Medical Emergency, Dial 9-1-1
If you have an urgent public health need during non-office hours, please call the Wauwatosa Police Department non-emergency number at (414) 471-8430, and the appropriate public health authorities will be notified.