We recognize the growing concern surrounding the proper disposal of unused and expired prescriptions and over-the-counter medications.
Proper and safe disposal of these medications is imperative. We partner with the Wauwatosa Health Department and Tosa United, to maintain a permanent medication collection container in the Police Department lobby located at 1700 N. 116 Street.
Location & Hours
The drop-off location is located at the Wauwatosa Police Department, 1700 N. 116 Street.
We accept medication drop-off:
Monday - Friday: 7:00 am to 11:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday: 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm.
Proper Collection and Disposal of Unwanted Medications
The following guidelines must be met in order to accept medications:
This service is only available to Wauwatosa residents. We require proper identification issued by the State of Wisconsin or Milwaukee County to verify identity and residency. You cannot bring prescriptions in for other people unless they are family members. Please be aware that if you attempt to remit an illegal narcotic, such as marijuana, we will conduct a routine investigation into the possession of an illegal narcotic.
- Prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Pills will need to be emptied from their original container into a Ziploc/seal-able type bag.
- Liquids, ointments, and creams must be in their original container(s) and sealed.
- Prescription patches
- Prescription samples
- Pet medications
We do not accept:
- Bio-hazard material
- Leaking/damaged liquids, ointments, or creams
- Medications from clinics or commercial businesses
- Medical devices or instruments
- Personal care products, such as shampoo, soaps, lotions, makeup, etc.
- Household hazardous waste, such as paint, pesticides, oil, or gas.