What is a Special Event?
A Special Event in the City of Wauwatosa is any street festival, run/walk, or parade. A permit is required when the Special Event / Block Party will involve:
- Closing and exclusive use of a public street, alley, or public right of way.
- Has over 250 people at any one time attending the event on private property, except those situations where a constitutional right is being expressed - marches and public assemblies.
- City ordinances and rules require public safety support by city employees.
- Will require extraordinary services by any city department.
- Hours of the event extend beyond those otherwise adopted in city ordinances.
- Alcohol, beverages, food, and/or merchandise will be offered for purchase.
There is a $150 application processing fee for special events. Block parties are exempt from this fee.
Don't know if your event qualifies? Call the Wauwatosa Police Department at (414) 471-8430.
Information for Permit Process
Forms / Information:
- Special Event Application Form– Also available at City Hall, 7725 W. North Ave.
- Special Event Applicant Organizer Notification
- Special Events Ordinance – City of Wauwatosa, Title 7 – Public Peace, Safety and Morals: Chapter 7.50 – Special Events.
Special Event (Non-Block Party) Permit Process:
- Download and complete the Special Event Application Form.
- Prepare a site plan sketch (parades/races should include start/end points).
- Prepare a parking plan that accommodates the number of estimated vehicles, please note how many vehicles.
- Obtain a copy of a Certificate of Insurance (must have a minimum liability of $1 million per occurrence and name the City of Wauwatosa and its employees as an additional insured).
- If your event is a run/walk, include your proposed route plan. Or, you may select one of the approved routes (see below).
- Have payment made payable to the City of Wauwatosa for the Application Processing Fee ($150.00), plus any additional fees necessary for your event (route fee, extra refuse containers, barricade costs, etc.). If you are using Police services, there is a fee of either $100 or $500 based on the event size.
- Prepare a plan to notify affected residents/businesses.
- Email your application to SpecialEvents@wauwatosa.net, and mail payment to the Wauwatosa City Clerk's Office, 7725 W. North Ave.
Block Party Permit Process:
- Download and complete the Block Party Permit.
- If you need barricades for your Block Party, have payment made payable to the City of Wauwatosa for the Barricade Fee ($35.00).
- Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and payment (if applicable) to the Wauwatosa City Clerk's Office, 7725 W. North Ave.
Approved Run/Walk Routes
Below are available approved run/walk routes:
Things to Know
- Main Point of Contact: Wauwatosa Police Department, Community Support Division
- Permit Filling: Special Event Permit Applications and the application fee must be filed with the City Clerk’s Office.
- Special Event permit application fee of $150. Block Parties are exempt from the application fee. During the internal review process there may be Extraordinary Service charges identified due to the event, i.e., measurable financial cost to service the event that go beyond normal levels of service on a nonevent day.
- Application Submittal: Do not submit more than one (1) year before an event, and no less than 45 days prior to an event.
- Note: Applications for Block Parties must be received three weeks prior to the Block Party date.
- Hours of Operation: Special Events can be open between the hours of 8:00 am and 12:00 am. Block Parties can be open between the hours of 8:00 am and 10:00 pm.
Sponsorship of Tourism Events
The Tourism Commission sponsors events that bring more visitors to Wauwatosa. Apply for a sponsorship for your event.
If there are any questions, please call the Wauwatosa Police Department, Community Support Division at (414) 471-8430.