What we do
- Solicit competitive prices from responsible vendors.
- Purchase materials, equipment, and services in a timely manner to meet the needs of city departments.
- Provide competitive, informal, and sealed bid documentation for department and/or Common Council approval.
Types of Solicitations
Solicitations are divided into four categories:
- Requests for Proposals: These solicitations are utilized when additional evaluation criteria will be considered, such as the experience of the firm or personnel to be assigned to the project, completeness of the project, and ability to meet the city's needs. Typically a committee is in place to review proposals received and rank the submissions.
- Purchases under $5,000: These purchases are made independently by departments.
- Informal Bids: Informal bids are for procurements between $5,000 and $25,000. These bids are unadvertised and unsealed. They are awarded to the lowest responsible, responsive bidder complying with the bid specifications.
- Formal Bids: Formal bids are all bids over $25,000. These are advertised in local trade papers such as Daily Reporter and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Bids are opened, tabulated, and referred to the appropriate committee with an award recommendation.
For more information, please email the Purchasing Department or call (414) 479-8958.
Code of Ethics
The City of Wauwatosa adheres to the National Institute of Governmental Purchasing Inc. code of ethics.